The Laguna de la Leche, white waters in Ciego de Ávila
By Coco Simpson
Laguna de la Leche (Milk Lagoon) is the largest freshwater reserve in Cuba, located north of the city of Morón, in the central province of Ciego de Ávila. It owes its name to the size and whiteness of its waters.
The lake constitutes a formidable sight, classified as a lagoon, it communicates with the sea, with a volume of almost 100 million cubic meters and a surface area of 66.5 km2.
The access road to this extensive natural lake begins in the north of the Agramonte de Morón Park. In a peculiar way, the limestone sediments found at the bottom reflect that whitish tone to which it owes its name, but even more curious is the composition of its water, formed by the mixture of fresh and salt water.
The Laguna de la Leche for many years has been one of the places of recreation for the inhabitants of the city where it is located. The chroniclers of yesteryear say that it was an intermediate point in the fluvial communication between the Embarcadero de Morón and the sea. The exit of the lagoon from north to south, starts at an entrance called Boca de Júcaro.
It is frequented by anglers who are attracted by the varieties of fish: schools of carp, king shad, perch and tilapia that can be found there. There is also an office where guided fishing excursions are offered.
A typical tradition of the lagoon is the aquatic carnivals organized there. They have been developed since 1955 in the summer months, along the channel that runs from the pier to the Laguna de la Leche.