Robotics in Rehabilitation
Photos: Teodoro Fonseca Sánchez
La Pradera International Health Centre lies on a peaceful, green forty two acre site to the west of Havana, close to the Palacio de Convenciones events centre and the PABEXPO showground as well as waterside leisure sites such as the Hemingway Marina and the Club Habana beach club.
Its revitalizing natural setting combines comfort and tranquility with highly specialized preventative, curative and rehabilitative medical care to improve your quality of life.
With over twenty-one years of experience in developing treatment and rehabilitation programs, La Pradera caters to both children and adults suffering from motor or cognitive disorders resulting from neurological or cardiovascular diseases, trauma or orthopaedic problems. Staffed by highly qualified professionals trained in varied physiotherapy and functional recovery techniques, La Pradera is a modern rehabilitation centre amply equipped with cutting edge technology and employing an integrated system of traditional and modern methods that work in perfect synergy.
Its principal objective is to achieve maximum functional recovery in the shortest possible time so rehabilitation programs are tailored to each individual patient, integral and intensive in their approach, combining every relevant technique with a multidisciplinary focus. All this is complemented by all the comforts of a hotel with personalized service delivered in invigorating surroundings.
Recently robotic technology has been added to the repertoire of traditional techniques. In 2015 La Pradera acquired the LOKOMAT rehabilitation robot, the only one of its kind in the country that can be used for pediatric and adult rehabilitation:
- Facilitates better functional locomotor recovery, programmable to suit each individual patient
- It combines intensive functional locomotor the rapy with feedback, supplemented by evaluation tools
- Robotic therapy facilitates neuroplasticity through activities and specific tasks repeated continuously In 2017 another robotic device was acquired.
Armeo Power is only for adult use
Rehabilitation services include:
- An integrated disability evaluation laboratory
- Nutritional advice
- Natural and traditional medicine
- Comfort and wellbeing
- Leisure and recreation facilities
- Psychological support
- Equine therapy
- Speech therapy
- Electrotherapy and other physiological methods
- Occupational therapy
- Designed for patients who have lost all function in an arm, or have limited mobility caused by a ner vous system disorder, or spinal, muscular or bone problems.
- Allows specific exercises that increase muscle strength and range of movement.
- Helps medical personnel to evalutate these functions.