Santa Clara, tricentennial Cuban city
Cubaplus Magazine, fotos: José Tito Meriño
In the midst of a pandemic that has imposed dissimilar difficulties, the Cuban city of Santa Clara celebrates its 332 anniversary of its foundation this July 15, as a privileged step to transit the island and, without a doubt, a pleasant place to stay.
The central city was founded on July 15, 1689 in what had been the aboriginal community of Cubanacan, according to historians by residents of the town of San Juan de los Remedios, tired of pirate attacks, although economic interests of wealthy families are also pointed out.
Through time, the settlement received different names: Cayo Nuevo, Dos Cayos, Villa Nueva de Santa Clara, Pueblo Nuevo de Antón Díaz, Villa Clara ... until it acquired its current name. Due to its geographical location, it is a transit point between the east and west of the Island, or the north and south of the central region, but in itself the city is a destination worth visiting.
The town has several National Monuments for its heritage and historical-cultural values, among them the Iglesia del Carmen, the town's founding site, the Leoncio Vidal Park, the old Plaza de Armas, and the Teatro de La Caridad, an architectural jewel of neoclassical 19 th century style.
Other sites also have that category, and attract numerous visitors from all over the world, linked to Ernesto Che Guevara, who commanded one of the main battles of the revolutionary struggle there in 1958. They are the Monument to the Armored Train, the Loma del Capiro and the Comandante Ernesto Guevara Memorial Sculpture Complex, where his remains rest along with those of other members of the guerrilla he led in Bolivia.
The city’s commemorative day traditionally begins at 6:00 am with the traditional touch of the Diana Mambisa in different parts of the town, and includes a solemn session of the Municipal Assembly of People's Power and the planting of a tamarind tree, symbol of the city, in the Loma del Capiro.