The marine and Havana town of Cojímar
Irene Ferrer, photos: Tito
Seaside and Havana town of Cojimar, not too close to the capital city center, Cojímar stands out in the western Cuban geography for its memories and current attractions that, in short, are the same as always.
About seven kilometers east of Havana, the town arose near a fort built by the Spanish colonial authorities to preserve that stretch of the island's north coast away from the desires of corsairs and pirates, and other powers of the time.
Founded on July 15, 1649, the Torreón of Cojímar, part of the fortification system of Havana declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1982, was the center of the firm resistance that the fishermen’s town made to the English troops who disembarked. in 1762 as part of its actions to take Havana.
In the 19th century and the first decades of the 20th, the town flourished as a spa, with the construction of hotels, clubs, summer residences ..., although later it gave ground to other beach sites developed there, such as those in eastern Havana and even the famous Varadero.
Among the reasons that made Cojímar famous is the very frequent presence during the 1940s and 1950s of Nobel Prize in Literature, Ernest Hemingway.
The American writer set his novel The Old Man and the Sea in that place, where he had the base of his yacht El Pilar, with whose patron Gregorio Fuentes used to have lunch at the La Terraza restaurant, mentioned in a couple of his works, and also famous for its tasty seafood dishes.
With a pleasant environment made up of the river of the same name and its valley, an interesting vegetation, archaeological sites and other attractions, the town of Cojímar invites you to visit it.